What is a social communication group?
The focus of these groups is to teach and promote positive pragmatic language skills within a group of peers in a consistent and familiar session format. A creative curriculum designed to engage children in fun learning about social communication will be implemented and interwoven with the concepts of Michelle Garcia Winner's Social Thinking. Each group is different and plans are individually formulated based on the needs of the individuals and the group as a whole. Children are placed in groups based on similar strengths, challenges, and interests and not by age or diagnosis. Parents will receive ongoing support and carryover activities outlining the concepts targeted during each session.
- Group size 4-5
- ASHA certified and NH licensed SLP instructor
- Groups available for both preschool and school aged children with open enrollment and a continuous program being offered. A wait list will occur if there is not an appropriate peer group for your child
- Intensive school age groups offered during NH school vacation weeks in February and April
- Location: Clearly Speaking, 750 Central Avenue, Dover, NH.
How do I know if my child has difficulties with social language and would benefit from a group intervention?
If your child has difficulty with any of the following skills they would benefit from this type of instruction:
- Making and maintaining peer relationships
- Using and reading facial expressions as an essential part of non-verbal communication
- Establishing attention and listening with their whole body
- Monitoring body language (self/others)
- Conversation (remaining on topic- initiating- maintaining a conversation- conversational transitions - pleasantries of conversation-taking turns)
- Advocating for oneself
- Identifying/appreciating/accepting the perspective of another (Theory of Mind)
- Executive functioning for social/academic success - organization
- Understanding sensory needs (self and others)
How do I schedule a social communication group for my child?
Call our office and speak to our office managers! They will let you know the availability of current groups running in the office, collect contact information and schedule an initial evaluation with one of our speech pathologists.